Adornment - part 2

ADORNMENT - PART 2


Following my study of Art Deco pattern and architecture and the work of Christopher Wool I created a range of different samples, using print, drawing and sewing. I designed a pattern inspired mainly by the Art Deco movement, using Photoshop, that I could use on a silk-screen.
I then began to explore fashion designs and illustrations, deciding that my pattern would be most effective when used to create a simple product, which lead to me looking at simple, straight t-shirt and shift dresses. Firstly I created the top part of the dress, I chose to simply print a black pattern on to black fabric, as the fabric created is subtle, but also influenced by the Art Deco movement and Arjan Janssen, an artist who creates large monochrome paintings using geometric shape. this led to the construction of the body of my dress. 
Following the study of Anni Albers I decided that I would add colour to the dress, I focused mainly on this particular piece by Albers, studying the colour but also the geometric pattern that she used. 

I created a sample using the colours from Anni Albers work above, incorporating my own pattern over the surface. I then pinned this onto my mannequin to give an idea of how the colours and style work with each other. I like the idea of having an asymmetric hem in the center of the dress, and combining the bold pattern with the more subtle black fabric. 


Comments