Layers, Structures and Form


LAYERS, STRUCTURES AND FORM

Fine Art and Sculpture - Week 3


During the Fine Art and Sculpture unit we began a project titled 'Layers, Structures and Form', where we aimed to generate a range of visual outcomes relating to the theme. The brief that we were given was vague but allowed us to create a visual reaction to a suggested subject. 

I began the project by taking photographs in Clevedon and observing the landscape, compositions and forms. I then took these images and began to create compositional drawings, breaking them down into their simplest forms and shapes. I experimented with using a combination of organic, natural forms and geometric shapes.


Clevedon



This took me onto studying the work of artists such as Gerard Brok, who layer materials and paint to create work that is suggestive of form and structure. I also looked at the work of Jeremy Gardiner and the way that he layers and collages materials to create images based on landscape. 


Jeremy Gardiner
Gerard Brok



I created a series of work, through which I experimented with layering materials and creating compositional images suggestive of the landscape of Clevedon. I think that these pieces work well as a series of work, complimenting each other to give a sense of the size of landscape. I chose to work with a limited palate, as it allowed me to focus on the structures and forms of the landscape.




Throughout this project I have successfully developed my knowledge of layers, structures and form. I have used a combination of two-dimensional and three-dimensional skills to create work that is interesting that I will be able to expand on in the future.  

     



Comments