Adding Colour

ADDING COLOUR

'Land and See' - Week 3

After spending the last two weeks using a predominantly monochrome colour palette, I decided to experiment by adding colour to my work. 


I enjoyed using a monochrome colour palette, as I found focusing on a simple black and white palette gave me the ability to explore marks and textures and create a sense of light and shadow. This technique allowed me to concentrate on elements such as composition, value, light and form. 


Extract from my Sketchbook


I was interested in incorporating colour into my work, whilst retaining tone and form. Therefore I decided to explore the way that a limited colour palette could be used to enhance and provide contrast to my drawings. 


I began experimenting with small drawings in my sketch book, I drew using white paint onto black paper and began to tear shapes out of bright orange card. I think that the bold contast of the ripped paper against the black background is effective and works to create a focal point that draws the eye through the image. 

Following a 'print workshop' I chose to incorporate printing into my work, as it provides a large flat surface of colour. I chose blue as I felt that it contrasts well with the orange, black and white of my work, but is also suggestive of sky. 

The 'Land and See' project has allowed me to develop my drawing skills and techniques, providing a large body of work using a variety of different mediums.

Comments